9 Mainframe Statistics That May Surprise YouAugust 7, 2020
Interesting perspective from our CCO, Mr. Herman Eggink:
Reading this article the other day: 9 Mainframe Statistics That May Surprise You, https://www.precisely.com/blog/mainframe/9-mainframe-statistics.
I was indeed surprised by the bias of the article just conveniently omitting a couple of facts:
- Mainframes are the only remaining proprietary compute platform. Everything else has already moved to x86 (Itanium, Sparc, System P, ..).
- All ISV’s develop for x86, not for mainframe. IBM is the only ISV considering the mainframe a tier-1 platform.
- None of the tier-1 public cloud providers offer running z/OS (IBM mainframe) based applications in the cloud. Windows yes, Linux, yes, z/OS is not supported.
- Over 99.9% of the world’s IT related R&D budgets (i.e. innovation) for compute go to x86, not to mainframe, not to COBOL or any other legacy technology.
- Mainframe based environments emerged being a major source of trouble during the pandemic due to their proprietary nature and lock-ins.
Then again, not surprising as all the sources of the article seem to come from one vendor…
The longer you stay on legacy, the bigger the innovation gap, the bigger the challenge gets!
Solve the problem: The cloud is the NEW mainframe: Agile, effective, dramatically lower TCO and much more pandemic proof.