Transforming and refactoring all kinds of COBOL
Companies are struggling to manage the costs and resources needed to maintain COBOL code. Even if organizations already ‘ported’ or ‘lifted and shifted’ their COBOL code to Linux, UNIX or Windows platforms, the limitations remain such as:
- high runtime and developer license costs
- expensive upgrades due to licensing increase when growing developers or workload
- high Oracle license costs in case of an Oracle database
- scarce and thus expensive COBOL skills (most programmers are well in their 50’s if not 60’s)
- proprietariness of COBOL and related skills not in line with what universities and other educations teach today
- limitations in modernization and true office and/or desktop integration
Automated code transformation and refactoring
AMT COBOL addresses the COBOL challenge by offering automated code migration and transformation supported by industry leading test applications. AMT COBOL provides seamless migrations that maintain code and business logic “fidelity” in a manner that is cost effective, requires few client resources and results in near perfect migrations.
AMT COBOL transforms all kinds of COBOL, including:
- MicroFocus COBOL
- Unisys COBOL
- IBM COBOL
- any other COBOL
Not a COBOL emulator but a transformation and refactoring engine
AMT COBOL is not another emulator generating COBOL on Windows but is a truly unique transformation engine generating native, readable and maintainable C#/VB.NET. AMT COBOL is the only COBOL that gives you the choice of whether to continue programming in COBOL or switch to C#/VB.NET. This way you continue to capitalize on your current COBOL knowledge while opening the door for new technology at the same time.
All legacy artifacts are converted to native .NET equivalents whereby:
- all of the variable naming conventions, global definitions and programmer comments are preserved
throughout the migrated code
- programmers can continue to develop in the exact same way as they were on the original platform and are given the freedom to either continue programming in COBOL or switch to C#/VB.NET at any time
- the underlying infrastructure uses the same technologies that have been proven in over 60 successful migrations
- the generated C#/VB.NET code has been proven to be fully maintainable/manageable. At any point in time, this code can be taken as the basis for further development without any limitations ensuring that no lock-in exists and the solution is fully future proof.
- The generated C#/VB.NET code uses Asysco’s AMT GO (Asysco’s target runtime environment which is based on standard Microsoft components) which ensures that the target system is scalable, manageable, secure and resilient.